For over 35 years, the members of Carquinez Strait Stitchers have been reaching out to the community to lighten the burden of those in need by providing comfort quilts and other items. We are proud to have provided hundreds of quilts and other items to Solano County men, women and children. Community Outreach is an integral part of our guild and we are happy that together we can make an important difference in our community.
Community Outreach workshops are held on the 2nd Friday of every month at Heritage Presbyterian Church from 10:30am – 2:30pm. All members who are vaccinated are welcome. Please also bring a mask.
Current recipients of CSS Community Outreach are:
- Project Linus, Solano County Chapter, with the mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to all children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans. https://solanolinus.wixsite.com/project-linus-solano
- Seniors served by Benicia Community Action Council (holiday gifts)
- Seniors served by Vallejo’s “Love Is” (holiday gifts)
- Camp Royal, a summer camp for foster children (pillowcases)
- Vallejo Kaiser Permanente Intensive Care Nursery (flannel covers)
- The Family Resource Center (face masks, holiday gifts)
How you can help
- Attend a monthly Community Outreach Workshop
- Take home a kit to sew (pillowcases, quilts, placemats, etc.)
- Machine quilt tops at home
- Sew binding on quilts at home
- Donate unused quilting weight cotton fabric that is not musty from storage.
If you are interested in learning how you can help or picking up kits to sew, contact:
If you are making donation quilts or tops on your own here are the approximate sizes which best serve most of our recipients:
40” x 40” Toddler quilts – please no ‘bling’ that can be pulled off and swallowed
40” x 60” Adult / Seniors quilts
If you are cutting scraps, here are the preferred sizes:
2 1/2″ strips, 5″ squares, 6-1/2″ squares, 10″ squares